I brought a four month old kitten home a week after my older cat died. The best idea? No, but my friends needed a home for him. I have had kittens in the past, but never one like this!
After all this time he and my older cat fight. I have had him since March and he will be a year old in November.
By fighting I mean that the younger cat, Pippin; tries to play with my older cat, Samwise. Samwise then sounds like a cat fight outside. He is SO loud, and I live in an apartment. He also is so miserable. He can not get any rest and neither can I.
The other issues I am having are:
1. He knocks things off of everything, breaking many things and causing me to no longer be able to decorate my apartment.
2. He still messes with cords, despite the no chew which once used to work.
3. He still chews on objects, despite his age.
4. He will not let me sleep, and sadly has to sleep outside my bedroom. This makes me sad because I know that he hates being away from me.
5. He has no concept of the word no at all.
Things I have tried:
The stern, firm NO!, the squirt bottle, separating the cats, giving him a time out for bad behavior, praising good behavior, buying a cat tree, making sure he has more toys than is even reasonable.
I live in a smallish apartment, and when I got him at four months old he came from a house. The household he came from had multiple cats who were allowed to do whatever they wanted, even if it meant destroying things.
I am at wits end and almost to the point of finding him a new home. I feel he is my responsibility, and I need to figure out a way to settle him down.
Everyone says he will settle down once he is not a kitten anymore, but I can not see that happening.
I have limited funds. He is fixed. However things like Feli-way are not something I can afford.
There has to be other ways.
Any and all help is appreciated.